For the past couple of nights I’ve not had much sleep. It was last night I decided to set up a bit of a temporary dark room in my bathroom. I’m not entirely sure what the catalyst was for this sudden burst of atypical industrious activity, procrastination may have played role. Either way, once I managed to find the developing trays, mix the chemicals and cover windows with the nearest opaque object, such as a surprisingly light dryer, I was impelled to think of as many things to print so as to make it worth my while.
I remembered, years ago, taking shots with my home made pin hole camera using photo paper as the film. Thinking I might be able to do the same thing, using my medium format (6×6) Mamiya C330 TLR, I folded a piece of 9cmx14cm ILFORD photographic paper in half and found it fit perfectly against the film back plate. This meant that I didn’t have to worry about cutting the paper to size in the dark. It also meant that reloading a fresh exposure only involved ensuring the camera was in complete darkness before opening the back and flipping the paper horizontally. That saved a bit of time when shooting outside. I just covered the camera up with my jacket and flipped the paper by feel.
Due to the very low ISO of photo paper, most of the exposures where quite long (f/11, 40 sec). This is with the exception of the self portraits where I strapped two speed lights together and set them to full power. Syncing via slave, they were fired manually during an exposure of about 10 seconds at f/5.6.
After developing I was left with a black and white negative print. I then scanned the paper and inverted them in Photoshop. These are some of the results.